Sunday, October 16, 2005

Wine of Wrath Chapter One

The uhaul slammed shut. Dad locked it, walked around to the bed of his truck and made sure all the ropes were secure. It wasn't a Model 'T' like was so common in the 30's when this place was being settled, it wasn't even a Ford, but the truck, a full size GMC, had an eerily familiar feel to it. If there was a mattress stacked on the top we'd be "Okies" again. Dad came up to the lawn to say good-bye. The heat of Bakersfield was starting to rear it's ugly head. It was only Febuary and already the afternoon heat was becomming more opressive by the day. Eighty five degrees and steadily climbing by the week. We shared hugs and kisses, tears fell and promises were made. I'll never know what they said to each other that day, but it had become more and more obvious that Mom and Dad were growing apart. Although too young to understand, I noticed an observible difference in their interactions. We were all upset, but this wasn't a somber occasion. A new life was only a few months away. By next fall I'd be starting highschool in a new town, in a new state. The life I knew in Bakersfield would be no more. A new world, a new journey, a new exsistance was waiting, all we had to do was cross the Rockies.


(work in progress)

1 comment:

Matt said...

Well Andy was right about the good work part...

Anyway, I really like it, seriously. I would remove individual phrases, but multiple of them were really really good. I especially enjoyed that I did not know when the time was set (this was the first of your three entries I read), so when I realized the timing it really hit me good.