Tuesday, November 01, 2005

An ode to strippers

Recently it's been brought to my attention that I have an affinity for strippers. This could be for many reasons, number one that I'm a red-blooded american male (despite evidence to the contrary), number two is however the more evocative to the reasons. After examining the situation, I came to realize that it's not the strippers per se that I like but rather the environment, the mood, the set and setting, etc. that I like. I like the dark, plush, sexyness of strip clubs. That is obvious, but more than that I love the off stage dance that takes place. Maybe I take it as a personal challenge to occupy as much of a strippers time as possible with out giving them my money or maybe I just love talking to the girls. The thing that grabs my attention the most is the aninimity of the clubs. The girls all are using stage names. I know this, I've been on the other side, I've dated more strippers that most, when she says her name is "Kitty" or "Diamond" she named herself that, or her friend, or an ex-boyfriend or something. It's very very rare that a stripper actually uses his or her real name. This does build an interesting and exciting barrier. When they talk to you they are using a fake name but the details are real. Strippers aren't creating elaborate story lines that they tell to john's just to get them to spend more money. Well, most of them aren't. So when she tells your that she was a dancer in highschool, she's probabbly telling you the truth. They understand that with out an actual name they can ramble on and on about their life with no accountability. The same lack of accountability and animinity is in effect for the customer. These girls see hundreds if not thousands of generic guys day in and day out. They ask the same sets of questions, go through the same motions and get almost the same responses from most of their marks. One guy with a crappy wife at home is just like the next. So there is no check and balance, no accountability or responsibility at a strip club, awsome! Why do I love this so much. Because it allows me to get right to the heart of things. I can skip the crappy details, the bullshit of "can I buy you a drink?" or "So, come here often?" and get right to the fun talks. Strippers, believe it or not, have lead some rediculously interesting lives. Not all of them suffer from "daddy issues," not all of them have a kid at home, and not all of them are dumb. Many of them do / are, but a majority of them have lead very real unique exsistences. I've talked to girls that have kids, I've talked to girls putting themselves through college, in very difficult majors, I've talked to girls that have overcome serious drug problems, and there is even the occasional girl that has that classic "small town girl trying to make it in the big city" story. The common thread is that they are real slices of americanna. A chunk of the pie. A unique flavor in this great big melting pot. If one has the oppertunity to bend the ear of a stripper, ask them questions. Don't just talk about yourself. If you keep asking questions, and are even vaguely paying attention, they will spill their inner most secrets. They will tell you things about them and their lives, their families, their friends lives, that you can never imagine. A cross section of life that most only hear about in made for TV movies. There are countless mistakes that have been made, just waiting for someone to learn from them. I love strippers for this reason. They reflect america, all it's shining glory prancing around on stage, and it's delightfully appealing underbelly, the dark side that is so pervasive and yet swept under the rug daily. There isn't the image protection bullshit that people spew daily. They hear things from customers about the state of the world and about day to day life that most of us couldn't even begin to deal with. People tell them things because they are just another customer, and the stripper is their therapist. Listen to strippers because they tell it from the heart, if only because they call themselves "Bambi" and their real name is JoAnna.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good, it needs editing from some more rambly points, but really good. I like the concept a lot.